Home Forum Members Pictures Contact Events

Go Back   Bay Area Two Stroke > Technical > 2 Stroke Builds
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Junior BAT

Default Project Paperweight: Derbi Senda SM

BATS Boys!

Ive kinda convinced myself to start a small build thread on a bike I recently acquired. I'd like to document it for personal reasons, and especially in the world we are currently living in today it seems fitting since i have nothing better to do. I have no idea if i am going to keep up with this thread, but it's worth a shot. I'm hoping this becomes more of a documentation of personal growth and showing that i can get this project done, myself, with help from friends and people who know more about some of these topics than i do, with skills that i hope to acquire over time, in a journey to accomplish something that has been ongoing for almost a decade.

I'm starting late so some of these first few posts will be me catching up to present day. The pictures I have will help out with dates as best as possible. I didn't really think i was going to be putting together a set of pictures to go along with this, so they will be few and super blurry. I will be doing better now to get these organized for proper documentation

I recently quit my job of nearly 10 years due to pressure, stress and the pandemic. So far it seems like the best thing ive ever done. I'm going through a weird quarter life crisis, not really knowing who i am, and what i am to do after some of this weird dust has settled. I have since developed a pretty interesting routine. Every morning I wake up, brew some coffee, and scour craigslist for weird things to buy, whether it be new subjects that i'm interested in ,or old hobbies of yesteryear. People are letting things go for cheap so you never know what you’ll find. I decide to go through my bookmarks in Chrome before CL bargain hunting and stumble on BayAreaTwoStrokes, and remember the days when I was obsessed with mini bikes, predominantly the little YSR50, and finding a forum that was dedicated to these types of screamers for the bay area. During that time everyone had a Senda, GPR, or RS50, as they were bigger bikes built to fit an adult frame better. I also remember them being a lot cheaper, as they had become my deal hunt for the morning. Damn not only are they few and far between, but they are now at least three times the price.

I see an interesting ad up while searching in the local area.Three previously raced derbi Sendas, and potentially one DRD for sale. No pictures, vague information, but it had a phone number. After a few minutes of contemplating, I decided to make the call. I was surprised to actually find someone on the other end answering to my call, we talked a bit about bikes, and an hour after that I had a few text messages coming in with pictures of the four bikes.

Here they are.

Unread 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Junior BAT

The rest of this story moves relatively fast.

Jump up a few days after the initial phone call and i'm headed to see them with a best bud and two family members. The plan was for each of us to take a bike, as they were only being sold as a package deal. We've all always had the idea of hooning around our city and showing those Groms bros whats good. It was either we were all in, or we were walking away with nothing, no pressure. We see the bikes and they're all in rough shape, and unfortunately we all definitely overpaid.

To make matters even worse we only walked away with three bikes, and a total of four boxes of miscellaneous bits from the glory days of mini moto racing at Stockton 99, or so i'm told. One of us wouldn't have a bike, so my cousin opted out, with the potential of him buying my number 660 if i found a suitable replacement. We take them back to “The Shop”, a place that I am fortunate to have access to store all of my various toys that are better kept behind a locking door, instead of outside of my apartment complex. We bring in the bikes to join a few other Bikes in supermoto trim.

Unread 07-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Junior BAT

Although I was advised to not tear open these bikes, the furthest we were told to do would be just a fluid flush. Yet I had the crazy urge to finally have a project bike to work on. I've always had plans of doing a sort of build and refresh on the 350SXF supermoto, the KLX300, the YZ125, but always got turned off from not only lacking the experience, but also the time, discipline and knowledge needed to complete the thing through and through. I always envisioned having a cheaper option to work on, learn, and figure out if I had what it took to get the job done. I’d rather rip apart something that was already a “paperweight”. At the end of the day if i failed, it wasn't a more expensive and running vehicle, and at least it was a lesson. So I decided that I was going to make this thing more presentable and road worthy. Learn different parts of working on machines to pass the time. Afterall, I don't come from a background in motorsports or automotive mechanics, I didn't learn how to ride as a child, so this is all a growing experience.

Here's what we started with, plastics removed in all its rust bucket glory!!!

Yeah, I got a lot on my hands. It doesn't take much knowledge to see that this project will take time, patience, and dedication to get through. I came up with a game plan on what I expect to see out of this bike. A lightweight, barebones supermoto. I'm talking minimal lights if any, no plastics if possible, making it as close to being just a frame, wheels, and engine.

I'm told it has some sort of Metrakit, not sure if it was 70cc, 72cc, 78cc, something like that. Its completely out of coolant, although I saw it running in person, even though i needed to give her a full GP start since the battery was removed for weight savings, and the kickstarter had broken off at least 15 years ago, which also seemed to be the last time this bad boy saw the light of day until i bought it. At the end of the day this whole thing will need to be gone through at some point to avoid injury. I'm then caught completely afraid of the wiring harness, not because its awful but the fact that I completely forgot i'll need to deal with electricals at some point. It has a leaking fork seal, a rough exhaust leak, dry rotted racing slicks, man ohhhhh man.

Unread 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Junior BAT

I spent the next two weeks breaking her down to a bare frame and a few sterilite boxes filled with parts. I assessed that I would need to add painting the frame to clean up some of the rust. At minimum a top end rebuild to the list of things needed to be done as well. It also wouldn't hurt to maybe look for all new hardware or at the minimum replace some of the really really rusted out and oxidized bits to clean her up a bit. Then the silencer came apart while removing the Metrakit pipe, so i'll need that too. In Addition i find a 28mm Metrakit carburetor that will probably need to be rejetted or at the very least cleaned out. I'm noticing a lot of this Metrakit stuff all over. I heard the brand a lot but it wouldn't become really important to me until later on.

Unread 07-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Junior BAT

Side note, On the hunt for more 2Stroke fumes, I ended up having the opportunity to purchase Da Bats DRD right after coming back from a riding trip in Oregon, my bud bought the CRBI85 as well, two more to “The Shop”.

Upon returning, it has become my mission to finish this project. I'm treating it more like a job than a hobby, and I mean this in the best way. I'm hunting through old posts and threads, searching for vendors online that are willing to ship to the US, going through Fleabay, and searching the good ole CL every morning.
Unread 07-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Junior BAT

Ive spent the last few days going through and prepping the frame for paint. Since i'm trying to make this as much as a DIY project as possible, and also because I was quoted a whopping $400 to do a proper powder coating job, imma be doing a nice rattlecan paint job to get this thing done in the backyard.

I also removed the top end and found some awful corrosion that I failed to take a picture of!!! Signs of a leaky head and failed gaskets have to be the culprit here. Luckily my younger brother has pursued a career in automotive tech, and had access to a media blasting cabinet. Unfortunately I only thought of bringing in the cylinder and head to get done, I should've taken advantage of the opportunity to take in some of the smaller parts to get paint ready! At the end of it all, he gave me a pass on being able to reuse all components and not have to stress for now on buying a whole new top end. He definitely advised looking for a new gasket kit if possible, and spare parts just in case of some failure. Basically what I heard was “re-use the parts at your own caution, but don't be surprised if you need to buy new parts in the future” kind of deal. Gucci.....
Unread 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Junior BAT

While enjoying some adult beverages, I decided it would be a good idea to figure out what was in those four boxes of spares that were given to us when buying the parts. After all, I was beginning to make a list of things I would need to start buying soon to have proper timing on completing the project, I can't imagine there being any worse thing than leaving a project idle while waiting for the UPS man to show up with your packages. And at the least i can save some money on parts that i don't need to buy. The next morning I drove down to pick up the parts. And that night I came home with some goodies, but it’s late and I’ll have to find another day to go through them.

Unread 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Junior BAT

cleaned up the super rusty exhaust today. Decided to utilize a few YouTube tutorial and walkthroughs to see what I can do. It cleaned up nice, but this may be one of the things I send to a local shop to get done, I don’t have access to all the tools to go through a complete restoration. For the time being it’ll have to do. If it comes down to the end and it isn’t done I’ll just use it as is and it’ll be completed later.

I also decided to use this time to go through and clean up the surface rust on the spokes and nipples of my wheels, plus try a polish on the wheels themselves. I was debating between painting them, but they cleaned up alright, and it’s less cost so ill keep them as is.

Unread 07-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Junior BAT

I was finally going to paint the frame today, but it’s wayyyyyy too windy to get done. I’m going to be doing it outside, in not the most ideal conditions to begin with, so no need to add more negative variables to the project. So I’ll finally have a minute to go through those boxes of parts. Started inside, moved outside mid way through, so you’ll see different backgrounds as I put these up.

So far it looks like:

6 Derbi and 1 Metrakit 50cc piston kits
1 Metrakit 47.6mm pistón for the pro race kit. Plus some piston rings.

Two Derbi GPR Petcocks, perfect time to replace the stock vacuum unit

A new Derbi chain and master link

Radiator. Doesn’t seem to be leaking although it is bent. I’m going to try to repair this and see what’s up

New Metrakit prorace clutch kit.

Three Metrakit cylinders and heads. Plus an OEM Derbi 50. No clue which MK kits these are. My brother said two of the three MKs are gouged pretty bad and no longer usable.

Used silencer that I’ll be trying to fit in place of that rough one

Some sprockets for the rear. Looks like a 52 and 54.
Unread 07-02-2020, 01:41 PM
Junior BAT

Few more miscellaneous things i found while going through the parts bin.

total im sitting on at least 5 stock Domino levers
stock crank
few piston rings
metrakit pins
old Derbi Booklets
Close to 15 brand new race plugs
oil pump