Senda SM won't idle when cold [Archive] - Bay Area Two Stroke

PDA

View Full Version : Senda SM won't idle when cold

damnpanpan
04-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, I start the bike with the choke on and it starts fine, but after about a minute, I need to keep the throttle slightly cracked open for another few minutes before the bike will idle on its own. Otherwise it just sputters out. I'm guessing I need to adjust the choke? Any opinions?

Thanks!

eddiemcrider
04-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, I start the bike with the choke on and it starts fine, but after about a minute, I need to keep the throttle slightly cracked open for another few minutes before the bike will idle on its own. Otherwise it just sputters out. I'm guessing I need to adjust the choke? Any opinions?

Thanks!

When the bike is warm the choke should be off or else the engine dies.

What's your bike's setup?

twinturba
04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Yea, hes right, start the bike with the choke on then when its started when the rpm begins to lower turn of the choke while giving it a little gas. It should idle by itself after that.

eddiemcrider
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Yea, hes right, start the bike with the choke on then when its started when the rpm begins to lower turn of the choke while giving it a little gas. It should idle by itself after that.

Hey TT, you think the idle screw backed out a bit (counter clockwise)?

Well dampanpan, the idle screw should not be messed until the bike is warmed up. Once it is warm you could try turning it in (clockwise) to raise your idle RPM level. I have mine set ~2000.

Same thing as you 2 when it comes to starting & running choke, @ 2,000rpms
for an idle after few minutes when rpms drop & then i close the choke "bink".

Airscrew only if it`s sputtering & i`m to lazy to pull the carb & swap jets etc.
All depends on the weather on the day in question also..

damnpanpan
04-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks a lot, guys! I'll try it out.
eddimcrider, I'm not sure how to describe the setup - sorry, I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm not sure what you mean. On the other hand, even if I did know, I'd probably have to ask twinturba anyway. :D