Derbi GPR, replacing starter motor Question [Archive] - Bay Area Two Stroke

PDA

View Full Version : Derbi GPR, replacing starter motor Question

03DucMon800S
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi ... I have a derbi GPR circa 2004. The previous owner pulled the starter motor because he was racing it and didn't want the excess weight. Anyone know how difficult of a procedure this is? I've done carbs, top ends and reconstructed a wiring harness ... but this is uncharted territory for me . THANKS!

Dangerous Dave
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Hi ... I have a derbi GPR circa 2004. The previous owner pulled the starter motor because he was racing it and didn't want the excess weight. Anyone know how difficult of a procedure this is? I've done carbs, top ends and reconstructed a wiring harness ... but this is uncharted territory for me . THANKS!

Taking off the lower fairing is tougher than taking off the starter. :) I guess you're looking to install one. As long as you have the 3 mounting bolts and the starter power wire is still there, it's a piece of cake. Remove the shift lever (1 bolt...note the position before removing the lever). Remove the left hand engine cover (3 or 4 bolts, can't remember for sure right now)...comes right off. Starter mounts below the engine, one bolt through a bracket under the engine, 2 bolts through the engine case from behind the left engine cover. 1 wire. Bada-bing...done. Put everything back.
BTW, I think I have the flywheel you're looking for. Pretty sure I have at least one spare. I'll check the garage this weekend.